The 30 Corps of Pakistan Army, also known as Triple X Corps, is a holding corps of Pakistan Army. It is headquartered in Gujranwala. The Corps forms major integral part of Eastern Command of Pakistan Defence Forces, PAF’s Eastern Air Command and Navy’s Eastern Naval Command. It is currently being commanded by Lieutenant-General Ikram Ul Haq.
Corps Formation Sign
The insignia of 30 Corps draws inspiration from the formation sign of the parent formation. Corps through the retention of silver stripe bifurcating at the middle and lightening which has been replicated in double form. The silver dagger in the center depicts infantry, the predominant component of 30 Corps.
History of 30 Corps Of Pakistan Army
To separate the articulation of offensive and defensive formations in Ravi-Chenab Corridor, raising of Headquarter 30 Corps was sanctioned with the mandate to complete the raising process by 30 April 85. Headquarter 30 Corps was assigned command responsibility of defensive formations in Ravi-Chenab Corridor (RCC), which were earlier under command of Headquarter 1 Corps of Pakistan Army.
The skeleton Headquarter was established under Brigadier Muhammad Akram, 1st Chief of staff of Headquarter 30 Corps, who assumed the appointment on 25 Mar 85.
Lt Gen SR Kallue, Commander 1 Corps of Pakistan Army took keen interest in the establishment of Headquarter 30 Corps for which he visited Headquarter 30 Corps frequently to discuss administrative and allied raising problems. In Jun 1985, Commander 1 Corps gave the 1st assignment to Skeleton Headquarter 30 Corps move out for ex “SHARP EDGE” and act as Force Headquarter for the troops undertaking operations across Ravi Chenab Corridor (RCC). The Headquarter independently planned and successfully conducted its first ever exercise involving assault from 6-14 Dec 86.
On 12 June 87, Headquarter 30 Corps of Pakistan Army moved from Mangla to Gujranwala and started functioning as an Independent Headquarter in a small accommodation presently occupied by Headquarter Artillery 30 Corps. Lieutenant-General Imtiaz Ullah Warraich was appointed as the first Commander 30 Corps on 11 Jul 1987.
Following formations were placed under command of headquarter 30 Corps:-
- 8 Division
- 15 Divsion
- and 54 IIBG
- HQ 19 IABG came UC 30 Corps on 1 Jan 88
- 30 IIBG was placed UC 30 Corps on 16 Jan 97
- HQ Log Area Gujranwala in 1993
Since the beginnings of an anti-India insurgency in Kashmir, the Line of Control is an active operational area. The corps has been deployed along its sector of the LOC and engaged in active operations since 1989.
List of Commanders
- Lt Gen Imtiaz Waraich, July 1987 – March 1988
- Lt Gen Pir Dad Khan, March 1988 – November 1990
- Lt Gen Chaudhry Sardar Ali, November 1990 – May 1992
- Lt Gen Hamid Niaz, May 1992 – May 1993
- Lt Gen Mohammad Tariq, May 1993 – August 1995
- Lt Gen Javed Ashraf Qazi, August 1995 – February 1996
- Lt Gen Ziauddin Butt, February 1996 – March 1997
- Lt Gen Naeem Akbar Khan, March 1997 – April 1998
- Lt Gen Agha Jehangir Khan, April 1998 – January 2001
- Lt Gen Abdul Qadir Baloch, January 2001 – October 2001
- Lt Gen Faiz Jilani Malik, October 2001 – March 2003
- Lt Gen Khalid Munir Khan, March 2003 – January 2004
- Lt Gen Javed Hassan, January 2004 – October 2004
- Lt Gen Mohammad Sabir, October 2004 – September 2005
- Lt Gen Anis Ahmed Abbasi, September 2005 – April 2007
- Lt Gen Waseem Ahmad Ashraf, April 2007 – October 2008
- Lt Gen Nadeem Taj, October 2008 – April 2010
- Lt Gen Jamil Haider, April 2010 – October 2010
- Lt Gen Raheel Sharif, October 2010 – October 2012
- Lt Gen Muzammil Hussain, October 2012 – July 2013
- Lt Gen Salim Nawaz, July 2013 – October 2014
- Lt Gen Ghayur Mahmood, October 2014 – September 2015
- Lt Gen Ikram Ul Haq, September 2015 – Present